Miguel Cabrera the Detroit Tigers’ Venezuelan slugger did not know about what the future held for him in the Major Leagues including his possible retirement, but yesterday, he made it clear that there will be more games for one more year.
Cabrera assured that he has plans to remain in the Majors through the 2023 season
“I’m not going to retire,” he told the Detroit News. “Not until next year after my contract is up. They didn’t understand what I said. There’s no way I’m quitting.”
Cabrera, plagued by a knee problem in recent seasons, had a .308 batting average on July 6 and is among a select group of players with 500 home runs and 3,000 career hits.
The worst in his career
Since then, Miguel has averaged a career-low .125 in the batter’s box with just one home run and two doubles in 21 games.
A.J. Hinch still needs him
Tigers manager A.J. Hinch said he will try to use Cabrera every other game during Detroit’s home games, although the Venezuelan was not included in Friday’s lineup against the Tampa Bay Rays.
On Thursday, Cabrera didn’t specifically mention retirement but said he wanted to know what his role would be in the future.
Taking it day by day
“Right now, I don’t know. We’re focused on the day-to-day activities and see what happens. I’m not thinking about next year,” Cabrera explained.
Miguel wanted to make it clear that there will be more of him in 2023
On Friday, Cabrera made sure everyone understood that he would be playing next season at Comerica Park.
“Next year is going to be a lot better,” he said. “Next year I’m going to be there.”